Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Feeding for PSSM

Hi Lynn,

I'm glad you have your horse on a low starch/low sugar feed. That is the first step. You should also have your hay tested -- this is important since it may be too high in sugar and starch. If you still have pasture, be aware that it may be too high in sugars this time of year because of the cold night time temperatures. So, I would suggest that you do not let her graze on grass if your evening temps fall below 40 degree F.

Avoid any sugary treats such as apples, carrots, or anything made from cereal grains (oats, corn, barley, etc) or molasses. A good treat to consider is Skode's Horse treats which are very low in starch and sugar and appropriate for PSSM horses.

If you need assistance interpreting your lab results or with customizing a feeding plan, you may find a personal phone visit worthwhile.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO