Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ants

Hi Peg and Pam,

The issue of ant bites is not a nutritional one, so I cannot specifically address it here. Calm Coat is helpful, as well as rubbing a small amount of Vicks Vaporub on the ears.

Your vet can provide an antihistimine to relieve the pain and itching.

Formerly from Texas, I know how these ant hills can appear overnight after a rain, so the best approach is to treat the ant hills as soon as possible. Most horses avoid them, but there are plenty of accidental encounters.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO