Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cribbing, colic and ulcers

Hello-

I have two horses that crib. I have alway had collars on them because I have been told that this habit gets worse if not stopped and that it also causes damage to the teeth. I will look into the supplements that you recommend. Is it really better for them to let them crib? This seems to be a very controversial topic, which really, many people are very biased when it comes to horses that crib, won't even own one. Have you had cases where these supplements stopped the cribbing, or is it a lifelong habit that will do damage in the long run? or maybe not?

Where are you from? Lake Havasu City, Arizona

How did you locate this forum? searching for hoof supplement

Hello Ruth,

Cribbing can be caused by several factors such as genetics, stress, early weaning, going for hours without anything to graze on, and nutritional deficiencies.

So, while you cannot do anything about genetics or whether or not your horse was weaned too early, you can modify other areas in your horse's life.

First, be sure that he has hay and/or good pasture available at all times. Horses are trickle feeders -- designed to graze virtually 24/7. If they go for hours without anything to eat, they will experience extreme physical discomfort (because their stomachs produce acid continuously) and will often develop into cribbers.

Avoid the cribbing collars. They do not work and they add to stress, only exacerbating the problem.

Finally, give your horse two nutritional supplements: Quiessence (to provide magnesium) and BPlex (a B Complex preparation). Most horses do not get enough magnesium and a deficiency, even a borderline deficiency, can manifest itself in behavioral problems.

B Vitamins are also important for the nervous system, helping him calm down naturally.

But, these nutrients will not be helpful if your horse's basic needs are not met first -- that means the ability to graze 24/7. You didn't mention how you feed, so if you already do this, you're definitely on the right track. If you're not, for fear that he'll gain weight, don't worry -- after a week of feeding free choice hay, he will self-regulate his intake according to his body's need.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks,
She's doing much better, even eating again. I'm looking for a pellet low starch food for her. Any favorites?

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? internet search

Hi Kristie - If your looking for a low starch feed try Triple Crown low starch or TC lite. I have my 3 on the lite formula even my 27 yr old and he always looks fantastic. Since I discovered that feed I would never use anything else. Good Luck

Hi Kristie,

Yes, I like Vicky's recommendation. The TC Low Starch has more fat than the TC Lite. TC Lite is more concentrated in added nutrients so you don't need to feed as much.

So, if your horse is working, go with the TC Low Starch. If you need to cut back on calories, go with the TC Lite.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO