Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
filly digging HUGE holes

My 2 year old APHA filly digs HUGE holes. I mean HUGE: 6 feet in diameter and 2 feet deep! We fill them in and she will dig one else where. She is out in a large paddock with another gelding 24/7. They have a large lean-to for shelter, they are fed good hay 3X a day. She is fed a balanced horse feed 2X a day. She is fit, not fat or thin, She has had her teeth checked and worked on this fall. She is de-wormed regularly. She has had some light work during the summer, but has not been pushed and is barely broke. She has free choice mineral/salt block. Do you think this is behavioral? It started abut 6 weeks ago. Thank you for your time and help.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Coleen Bull, friend

Re: filly digging HUGE holes

Hi Wendy,

Yes, I believe that the majority of this problem is behavioral. But, that can include boredom, so take a look at ways you can preoccupy him.

From a nutritional perspective, he needs to have hay available at all times. If he goes for more than 2 hours without anything to graze on, he will likely develop a whole variety of bad habits. This is due to stress -- both mental and physical.

You see, horses' stomachs, unlike humans', produce acid all the time. If left empty, they experience discomfort. They need to chew to produce saliva, a natural antacid. Also this acid can travel down the digestive tract, harming the bacterial flora living in the hind gut, resulting in colic.

The additional mental stress causes an elevation in the stress hormone, cortisol, which leads to insulin resistance. This results in weight gain and often, laminitis.

So, you see there are a variety of potential health problems with only giving hay 3 times a day. The goal is to never let your horse run out of hay so he can self-regulate his intake. If given a chance, he'll only eat what he needs.

And, his behavior will be calmer -- as a beneficial "side effect."

All the best,

Dr. Getty

P.S. Send my regards to Colleen!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your expertise. We try and give them hay 3X a day, we'll try and up to 4X. I think most horses, unless out on pasture, have this issue. In the summer all our horses do get to pasture, so it's likely why we are seeing the behavior now. Thanks again, I will tell Coleen you said hi!

Sincerely, Wendy Noder

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Coleen Bull, friend

Glad to help, Wendy. Please keep me posted.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO