Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"helpful" neighbour drops off green feed

a "helpful" neighbour unrolled a round bale of green feed today for all the horses where mine are boarded. Mine have been fed a mix of hay and alfalfa and have had no grain since before spring.

Should I be worried. I took all the horses into the paddocks and away from the green feed.

Where are you from? alberta canada

How did you locate this forum? searching

Re: "helpful" neighbour drops off green feed

Hi Melanie,

By "green feed" I assume you mean some type of cereal grain -- oats, corn, barley, etc.

If that is the case, then I would definitely be concerned. However, if it is just hay, then this is not a problem, as long as your horses are fed enough hay to allow them to self-regulate their intake.

So, it sounds like your horses suffered no ill effects of this grain. Just tell your neighbor that they are on a special diet and while you appreciate her good intentions, it's best for the horses if they do not get grain.

Hope all continues to go well.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty! Yes is was grain green feed and I am glad I did the right thing, especially for the Shetlands who would have blown up like balloons!

Appreciate your time.

Melanie

Where are you from? alberta canada

Hi Melanie,

Glad to help!

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO