Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
mare in foal

Hi a boarder recently purchased a pregnant mare...I've had the vet out...she has bad teeth (almost taken of) but her weight for being 5months pregnant is pretty good...now vet says at 7 months to start feeding her mare and foal sweet feed 5 pds a day ...I hate sweet feeds..for now she gets 8oz ground flax ..black oil sunnies ..vit/min suppl ..probiotics and MSM as she has heaves...I know she needs a good quality protein so I was thinking alfalfa cubes with the flax and boss...but how many pounds and do you think this would be a balanced diet

Where are you from? New-Brunswick

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: mare in foal

forgot to mention this mare also gets free choice hay

Where are you from? New-Brunswick

How did you locate this forum? search

Re: mare in foal

Hi Fallon,

I agree with you -- I do not like sweet feeds either, especially for a pregnant mare. During her last three months of pregnancy, however, her caloric needs increase dramatically. Therefore, beet pulp is a safe way to add calories.

Continue to weigh her and go with 2.5% of her body weight as forage (grass hay plus alfalfa with 30 to 40% of her hay ration as alfalfa). This is assuming that she can chew her hay. If not, she'll need a hay replacer.

Feed additional beet pulp to allow for her to maintain a normal weight without excessive fat storage. The amount you feed depends on her activity level and body type. But, in general, feeding her three meals per day, building up to approximately 2 lbs of beet pulp, plus supplements, will keep the average 1000 lb mare in decent shape through her 11th month.

Avoid the sunflower seeds. They are very high in omega 6 fatty acids, which increase inflammation and will make her foaling experience more painful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO