Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Post Laminitis Treats

Hello,

My question relates to treats for a horse who is recoving from Laminitis.

The advice I got was only carrots and no apples because apples are too high in sugar. I agree, that apples are higher in sugar, but apples are actually lower on the GI scale than carrots, so wondered if this might make the apples OK. I was also considering trying celery. Any other treat suggestions?

Many thanks, Heidi

Where are you from? Ontario, Canada

How did you locate this forum? Web search for "Horse Nutrition"

Re: Post Laminitis Treats

Hi Heidi,

You're absolutely right! Carrots do have a higher glycemic index than carrots. But, apples are too high in sugar to feed, as well. So, you need to avoid both.

Take a look at Skodes Horse Treats. You will be very pleasantly surprised by the variety of treats that are very low in sugar and starch. There are special Gingerbread cookies for the holidays that are popular right now. But, there are other types of cookies, brownies, and trail mixes that are nutritious and helpful for any horse that needs to avoid sugar.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO