Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2yr.old quarter horse

I was wonder what the best course of action would be for a 1 1/2 yr. old male( he hasnt been gelded yet) who has never been on grain before and what his nutritional requirements will be.( he will be gelded in march). thanks!!

Where are you from? ct.

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: 2yr.old quarter horse

Hi Cheryl,

The best approach for a growing horse is to provide all the quality grass hay he wants, along with approximately 30% alfalfa to boost the overall protein quality. Protein is essential for building body tissue and combining a grass with a legume (alfalfa) will provide a mixture of amino acids that offer a complete protein source for your soon-to-be gelding.

You'll also want to fill in the gaps with a good vitamin/mineral supplement that also provides omega 3 fatty acids and vitamin E. I recommend Glanzen Complete while he's on hay. During the warmer months, if he grazes on fresh grass, original Glanzen is fine.

Put a plain white salt block within easy reach and make sure he has temperature controlled water this time of year so that he drinks enough water. It should be kept at no less than 50 degrees F for adequate intake.

And, finally, consider having your hay analyzed for its lysine content. This essential amino acid needs to be in adequate supply to provide approximately 44 grams per day. If this need is not met by the hay, plus Glanzen Complete, then consider adding Lysine to the diet.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO