Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Triple Crown Senior

Hello Lisa,

I have written to Triple Crown to get the updated stats on their feeds. You are correct regarding the grains in the Senior Feed -- they are no longer part of the ingredient mix. I do see molasses, however, so let's see what TC sends me and I'll be back in touch.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your patience. Since we now use measurements such as %WSC, %ESC, and %Starch in addition to %NSC, it was very interesting, indeed, to see Triple Crown's new stats on their various feeds.

The Triple Crown Senior is lower than the Low Starch version, as you indicated. The Senior has Starch + ESC equal to only 13.2% (ESC measures simple sugars, with very little fructan) whereas, the Low Starch is 16% Starch + ESC. However, the Low Starch feed is lower in simple sugars (ESC) than the Senior, because the Senior feed contains molasses. So the glycemic index of the Low Starch is likely somewhat lower than the Senior version.

The TC Lite is best of all the pelleted feeds with 9.5% Starch plus ESC, so for a low glycemic index feed, this is the one I would go with.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for verifying those numbers with Triple Crown.

Have a very Merry Christmas and Blessed New Year.

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? search