Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Easy Keepers with Cresty Necks

Hi Carol,

Thanks for writing about your horses. I recommend giving them all magnesium to help lower circulating insulin levels. Give them each 1 ounce of Quiessence per 250 lbs of body weight. As long as they get enough hay (at least 1.5% body weight) they should be getting enough calcium to balance out the magnesium.

And, even a small amount of sweet feed is undesirable. So go with the low starch feed you're planning or unsweetened beet pulp. But, stay away from any grain -- especially corn. Corn is not only starchy, causing more fat storage and insulin release. But, it is also poorly digested, thereby further increasing the risk for laminitis.

I recommend having your hay analyzed, especially since it contains a grain -- rye. Go with your local county extension service or Equi Analytical Labs -- www.equi-analytical.com.

Cush Alleve (now known as Balance EQ) is to help with Cushing's Syndrome, not insulin resistance. So, if your horses have been diagnosed with this disorder, your vet would likely recommend Pergolide. Balance EQ can help reduce the amount of pergolide needed.

Ration Plus is very helpful for horses that are not properly digesting their feed. Too much gas production is a sign of inefficient forage digestion and the Ration Plus will help.

You know, in all honesty Carol, your situation is complex and making a little change here and a little change there is not the best way to go. Please consider setting up a personal phone consultation. That way I can go over their situation in detail, looking at their histories, diet, medical treatments, exercise, environment, along with mental and physical states, to customize a feeding plan that will reduce the likelihood of a laminitic relapse and boost their overall life quality.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr Getty:

Thank you so much for the response and thank for you for the forum; it is very educational.

I spoke to Purina today and they recommended that I feed the "laminitic" mare the Wellsolve L/S which has 10 g magnesium/4 lbs, and the other horses Nature's Essentials 32, which has on .45 g/1 lb. Importantly, Purina said that they do NOT measure the sugar content in the 32 as they do with the L/S. The L/S has a combined sugar/starch content of 11% whereas the 32 has a starch content of 10% but who knows how much sugar since they don't specifically measure it. Since all the horses are overweight and cresty neckedand, shouldn't I be concerned about starch AND sugar and feed them all the L/S supplemented with the 2 scoops of Quiessence to achieve 20 g/day (assuming each horse weighs 1000 lbs).

Purina also said that they recommend the Essentials 32 for easy keepers who are on hay or pasture and Wellsolve L/S for horses that have specific medical needs such as insulin resistant, metabolic syndrome, etc. My vet believes that the "laminitic" mare has metabolic syndrome (pre-cushings). He does not believe testing is reliable but he has seen her several times, and based on his experience, as well as her symptoms, believes she has metabolic syndrome. In addition to the cresty neck and mild laminitis episodes, she sheds her heavy winter coat slowly, had fertility issues, delivered a foal 3 weeks premature, and also had congestive heart failure last fall which was resolved with laxis (sp?). Should I also be giving her Balance EQ and if so, am I giving her too much magnesium since she is already getting 20 grams/day with the Wellsolve L/S plus two scoops of Quiessence?

My vet does not believe that the other horses have metabolic syndrome; they just need to lose weight and he worries about potential for laminitis because of the cresty necks. He categorizes the other four horses as easy keepers with a body condition scores ranging from 6 to 8. They have not experienced any laminitic episodes nor have they had any other signficant health issues.

Any additional advice you could offer would be most appreciated. If a phone consult is more appropriate at this stage, please let me know when we can arrange it.

Thank you.

p.s. I'm also having my hay analyzed but won't have the results for a few weeks.

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? internet search for laminitis treatments

Hi Carol,

A phone visit would be the best approach to take since your horses' situations are more complex than can be covered by a simple forum reply.

It's true that Cushing's tests can reveal false positives this time of year. So, if your vet suspects pre-cushings, it is best to provide the Balance EQ (formerly known as Cush Alleve). We can go over pre-cushings and related dietary needs when we visit.

To get 20 grams of magnesium, you'll need to provide 4 ounces (scoops) of Quiessence per day.

So, let's visit after I get back from vacation -- some time after January 8th and we'll go over everything in detail. In the meantime, reduce the starch and sugar levels in your horses' diets as much as possible, including avoiding sugary treats (even carrots and apples). If you would like a low sugar/starch treat, take a look at Skode's Treats.

Happy Holidays!

Dr. Getty

Dr. Getty:

Thank you for your reply. I would very much like to visit with you by phone after you return from vacation. FYI, the Purina equine rep is planning to visit our farm on January 9 to sample hay, look at the horses (her last visit for July), and recommend a feeding regimen. I don't plan to change my current feeding program until I get the hay analyzed and I consult with you and my vet.

Tap Dancer (the laminitic mare) is now getting 4 pounds of Wellsolve L/S (split into two feedings). I supplement the first feeding with two scoops of Quiessence and the second feeding with 1 scoop of Cush Alleve (Balance EQ). FYI, there is 10 g magnesium in 4 lbs Wellsolve L/S. Should I be feeding the Quiessence + Balance EQ to this mare?

The other horses are currently getting a 1/4 cup custom blend feed supplemented with two scoops of Quiessence twice daily. I plan to switch them to a Purina feed (either Essentials 32, Wellsolve L/S and/or Strategy) after Purina visits and I speak to you and my vet.

I'm a bit confused but if this approach is NOT okay until we have the opportunity to discuss it by phone, please let me know.

Thank you for your help and enjoy your vacation.

Happy Holidays!

Carol

Where are you from? Missouri

How did you locate this forum? internet search for laminitis treatments

Greetings Carol!

You're right about the Purina Wellsolve L/S -- it has 9.1 grams of magnesium in 4 lbs of feed. It may not be necessary to feed that much, however, depending on the activity level of your mare. In which case, we can offer her more magnesium via Quiessence.

So, I will email you directly to set up an appointment to talk this over in detail.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty