Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Paprika for "orange" bays?

I use a combo of paprika and kelp for my dark horses. Both kelp and paprika are main ingredients in Black as Knight and other expensive "dark horse" supplements. I get kelp in a 50lb. bag at the local feed mill for $70, and it lasts a VERY long time. As long as I start them on it BEFORE they fade, they're nice and dark all summer long. I keep my horses outside 24/7, with access to shade if they want it. I also supplement with fish oil, though the good stuff is on the pricey side. I also read on a zoo site that zoo keepers feed flamingos paprika to help keep them a nice dark pink. Just like with the Black as Knight supplement, you can increase the dose in the really sunny months of mid-summer, but be careful with supplementing too much of the kelp, because of it's high mineral content. The paprika, according to the info I've found online and talking local vets and equine nutritionists, is safe to feed in larger amounts. Maybe Dr. Getty could give some guidelines regarding how much paprika and kelp are safe for supplementing. Source is made of kelp, but way more expensive than buying in bulk. Anyway, that combination has worked for keeping my dark horses dark.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? online search

I forgot to mention one more thing. I used to use BOSS to help keep the horses dark, also, but stopped when I discovered their high Omega 6 content. One of my horses has joint problems, so the high Omega 6 isn't in her best interest. None of them started to fade when I stopped the BOSS, so the paprika/kelp kept working on their own.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? online search

Hi Bridget,

I agree with Krista regarding the safety of paprika and you are welcome to add 1 tablespoon per day to her diet. However, I am reluctant to suggest too much kelp due to its very high iodine content. In moderate amounts, it is safe.

So, to remove the guesswork, I like Blackenall. It does not contain added grain, like Black as Knight. And, it is guaranteed by the manufacturer, Horsetech. It also contains important minerals and B vitamins, which boost the overall health of the haircoat.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO