Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: type of pellets to feed with glanzen

Hi 10Walker,

You really don't need to add a commercial feed, such as Safe Choice, because Glanzen, along with fresh forage, provides a balanced diet.

To feed Glanzen, you'll need a "carrier" so hay cubes, broken into small pieces and moistened a bit, or alfalfa pellets, work very well for a carrier meal. And, you can adjust the amount fed according to their calorie needs.

If they are on hay, which is likely this time of year, then Glanzen Complete would be a better choice since it adds back those nutrients that are typically lost from fresh grass during hay production and storage.

If your horses are exercised where they need more calories than just forage can provide, consider adding either beet pulp or a nutritious fat source such as stabilized rice bran (that has added calcium to correct the inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio).

Thanks for writing.

Happy New Year,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO