Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weight fluctuation

Hello Angela,

Thank you for writing and I'm very pleased to hear that your horses are doing well. You have them on a good plan.

Regarding your mare and her weight, there are many causes of weight loss or difficulty in holding a normal weight. The most common cause is poor teeth. So, be sure to have her teeth floated at least every 12 months, and even more often, if necessary.

Disease can cause weight loss so have her blood tested for inflammation and liver function. If there are weeds in your pasture that she may be consuming, liver damage can often be a problem and this can very slowly lead to weight loss as a side effect.

Worm infestation can also be a problem. Once each year, it's a good idea to give your horses a 5 day dose of a Panacur PowerPak which is a double dose of fenbendazole. This will get rid of encysted larvae that most other wormers will not touch.

Finally, consider the possiblity of an ulcer. If she has a history of speed eventing, an ulcer is very likely.

Once you've ruled out health problems, consider adding more fat to her diet. If you're already giving her the full dose of Glanzen -- 3 scoops per day -- then add some stabilized rice bran (such as ADM Alliance Natural Glo).

I hope these ideas are helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO