Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: weight

Hello Rebecca,

Most retired race horses have ulcers, and this can lead to weight loss (as well as other problems). So, your first step would be to heal the ulceration. To do this, offer your horse hay 24/7 -- good quality grass hay along with 20 to 30 percent alfalfa, if possible.

Provide him with a low starch meal. Do not feed oats because starch causes more acid to be secreted. Beet pulp works well, or one of the many low starch feeds now available.

To this meal, add AmiQuell. This will help heal the damaged tissue as well as provide soothing from the discomfort.

And, in addition, I would give him Ration Plus to help him benefit from his forage by allowing the bacteria to digest it more efficiently. To this, add Hard Keeper or a more fortified supplement such as Glanzen Complete, for additional fat calories and nutrients.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Rebecca, This is great advice from Dr. Getty. I too have a retired thoroughbred race horse and he lost drastic amounts of weight after three months of being purchased. It took most of the summer, but once we started using the Ration Plus product, it quickly got him on the road to recovery! He's doing great and this winter is not bothering him a bit w/losing weight. I can tell he feels good and he looks good, coat nice and full and, even his eyes look good!! Can't go wrong w/Ration Plus!!

Where are you from? PA

Greetings Jo,

May I use your comments as a testimonial on my Ration Plus page?

So good to hear how well it has worked for your horse!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

You bet, Dr. Getty! I'm a firm believer of this product. I wish I could send you before and after pictures on here...you would not believe how wonderful he looks and feels!!

Where are you from? PA

Hi Jo!

I would love to see your photos. Please email them to me at: DrGetty@Gettyequinenutrition.biz Thank you!

And, I placed a testimonial about Ration Plus on my website. Thank you -- your feedback is very important.

All the best,

Dr. Getty