Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Nutritional Advice requarding possible PSSM Horse

Hello,
I have a 5 year old Canadian Warmblood Gelding who has weakness in his right hind once he starts working or exercising. You can actually feel the muscle knotted (about the size of a tennis ball). I've had him examined by two different vets 3 separate times. He has had blood tests taken to determine if there are any muscle problems and he was also DNA tested for PSSM. All came back negative.
He has never tyded up. I currently have him on a low Carb high fat diet. His diet consists of 1 quart of rice bran pellet, 3 quarts of alpha pellets and 2 cups of blue seal sunshine (like calf mana - high protein) in the AM/PM. He is also fed 1 quart of speedi-beet (98% sugar free beet pulp) soaked in the PM only. Along with this feed program he is getting 2 cups of Oil AM/PM and a wealth of supplements ( Kentucy Performance - Myo-Guard Each 1-ounce dose provides:
Vitamin E 1000 IU
Vitamin C 1500 mg
Selenium 1 mg
Magnesium 3000 mg
, a Multi Vitamin, Vit E 5000). He's been on this diet program for 3 months and has gained 50lbs. He could use more weight as he's 17 Hands and big boned. He weighs approximately 1200 lbs. He is turned out with other horses for 12 hrs a day. He's not being worked as it's winter here and I don't have an indoor. We first noticed his weakness last year when he was in professional training for dressage. After warmup and when he started working he would stop and put his tail up and not go forward. We called a Vet out to check him and had him massaged. We cut back on his training but he didn't improve so we brought him home and had more Vet visits and more tests. After 3 months of his current diet we are still noticing weakness in his right hind. When he's playing and running with the other horses he will abuptly stop and put his tail up. And just stand there for a while and then finally walk.
Can you comment on his diet and supplements ? Is it too extreme ? Can you offer advice. Thanks Marie Marr

Where are you from? Spencerport NY

How did you locate this forum? Searching for nutritional information

Re: New Carb Guard from Blue Seal vs Ultium

Hello Marie,

The four things that come to mind are magnesium, B vitamins, salt, and water.

He needs more magnesium -- he should have 5,000 mg per 250 lbs of body weight. So, he sounds like a big boy and needs to have a minimum of 20,000 mg of magnesium per day. Quiessence, at 4 scoops per day, will meet this requirement. Magnesium is essential for muscle function.

B vitamins work on the nervous system and are also necessary for helping the muscles get the energy they need from his feed. Go with B Plex because this is a pure B complex formula.

Water is very important and many horses get dehydrated during the winter months becuase the water is too cold to drink. Be sure to heat your water with heated water buckets or a water heater designed for water troughs. It should be no colder than 50 degrees Farenheit.

And, finally, salt is critical to muscle contraction and relaxation. Add one ounce (two tablespoons) of plain, white table salt (the variety you buy in the grocery store) to his feed each day, divided between meals.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty for your response and I will take your advice on the supplements. Are these recommendations in addition to the other supplements he is now getting (Myo-Guard,multivitamin,VitE) ? Thank you again, Marie

Where are you from? Spencerport, NY

How did you locate this forum? online looking for horse nutrition

Hi Marie,

Quiessence and BPlex will be fine with the multi and vitamin E. The MyoGuard already appears to be a multivitamin preparation, so I don't know which other multi you're feeding. You should not be feeding two multi vitamin/mineral preparations. MyoGuard contains 3000 mg of magnesium per ounce, so you can adjust the Quiessence accordingly.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Everyone,
I have a concern about the Carb Guard also. I've noticed that my horses back off the feed. When I have fed my guys Carb Guard they will eat a little and just stop eating and walk off and these 2 will eat anything. Anyone else noticed this? I'm also concerned about the vitamins and minerals also. I'm a big Legends and Triple Crown fan.
Thanks for your time,
Kathy

Where are you from? Maryland

How did you locate this forum? on line

Hello Kathy,

Carb Guard, according to Blue Seal's website, has less than 11% NSC, which is fine for insulin resistant horses. Triple Crown's Low Starch is much higher than this -- at 13.5%. Their Triple Crown Lite, however, is better at 9.3% NSC.

If you have a more specific question regarding this feeds' ingredients or nutrient content, please feel free to let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty