Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding silage to horses

During the winter our horses are sometimes (pastured) free housed with our Hereford moms and babies. They enjoy the freedom and companionship - especially with the babies. However, my son-in-law will soon begin feeding grass silage to the Herefords. Is it still safe to allow the horses in this free housing/pasture area, or will the silage be dangerous for them?

Where are you from? Pennsylvania

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: feeding silage to horses

Hi Nancy,

Silage is often fed to horses in the UK without any consequence. There are commercial silage/haylage products that guard against mold through vacuum packaging. But, in your case, this precaution may not be in place.

Under most farm conditions there is a danger of mold during the grass fermentation, since it is moist. Mold is not as much a danger to cattle as it can be for horses. So, I would caution you against feeding it.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO