Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ration Plus

Hi Megan,

Yes, there is a potent yeast culture that I offer, called Live Yeast Cell 20X, made by Med-Vet Pharmaceuticals. I do not, as yet, have it on my website, but I will be adding it soon. In the meantime, if you'd like to contact me either by email or phone, I can assist you. Here is a link to the description for more information: Click Here.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

I too have used Ration Plus on my horse for over a year. I have used it because it is in liquid form and she will not eat anything powdered. I also have not seen a big difference in her. But the new product you have mentioned "Live Yeast Cell 20X" sounds like a good idea since it is in pelleted form. Now is this product a prebiotic? Do you have any suggestions about products that have prebiotics, probiotics, and digestive enzymes?

Thanks, Lisa

Where are you from? Long Island, NY

How did you locate this forum? searching the web

Hi Lisa,

I answered you personally, but will post my response here, for the benefit of my readers.

I addressed Daily Start, as well as Live Cell Yeast 2X and should mention, as well, that the Daily Start is a powder, not a pellet. So, if you prefer a pellet, go with the Live Cell Yeast 2X. I'll have that on my website shortly.

Here is my earlier response:

The Live Yeast Cell 20X is a prebiotic, meaning, it does not contain live bacterial microbes but instead, feeds the existing bacteria so they can digest forage more efficiently. It is similar to Ration Plus.

The Daily Start is a probiotic plus yeast, containing live microbes and is best for horses that are on antibiotics or have suffered a digestive disorder (colic or ulcers, for example) and need to replace the microbes that were lost. However, it has a higher concentration of yeast (Saccharomyces cerevisiae) than the Live Yeast Cell 20X, making it appropriate to use for your horse. And, the additional bacteria will be fine.

So, in your horse’s case, I would recommend two things…. First is Daily Start (more economical and more concentrated). And, second, additional B vitamins to further support digestive function and boost her appetite. B Plex is the supplement that I recommend because it is B Vitamins, with no added iron (like most B complex preparations have).

Dr. Getty

Thank you Dr. Getty! I will definitely be looking into the Live Cell Yeast.

Where are you from? NY

Hi Megan,

Glad I could help.

All the best,

Dr. Getty