Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen 3 or Glanzen GL?

Dr. Getty,

I'm trying to decide between these two products for our horses. Would it be beneficial to feed our younger horses the Glanzen GL (w/glucosamine) as well?

Horses: 19 yr old w/arthritis (currently receiving glucosamine shots monthly); 16 yr old with sore joints in cold weather (we currently use Fluid Flex); 10 yr. old; 6 yr old; and 4 yr. old

I'm hoping to get rid of the biotin we currently give, the fluid flex and maybe even the glucosamine shots, if possible.

Where are you from? Colorado

Re: Glanzen 3 or Glanzen GL?

Hi Christy,

Glanzen GL is Glanzen 3 with added glucosamine, which is not sufficient for many horses. Take a look at Reitsport HA-100 Complete for your horses that need joint support. This would remove the need for shots and glucosamine. Also, you wouldn't need biotin since it has hoof support.

But, for your 10 and 4 year olds, go with Glanzen Complete. This will meet their needs and fulfill the hoof support need, as well.

Then, in the spring, if they get pasture, switch to Reitsport HA-100 for the older ones and Glanzen 3 for the younger ones.

But, you do not need to add joint support for the 10 and 4 year olds.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty,

Thank you for answering my questions so quickly. I'm going to go with the Reitsport HA-100 Complete for my 19 and 16 yr. olds w/joint issues and the Glanzen Complete for my younger 3 (10, 6, 4). I will continue to keep the salt block out.

I'm assuming that I discontinue all else (fluid flex, biotin, and glucosamine shots to see the effects of the supplements. I had noticed one of my horses eating manure lately - do you think this is a supplement problem?

Thanks so much,
Christy

Where are you from? Colorado

Hi Christy,

Yes, you can eliminate the other supplements you listed since these are provided in the new supplements you plan on using.

Eating manure can definitely be due to a nutrient deficiency, so let's see how they do with your new plan.

But, horses also eat manure for other reasons, the most common of which is not having hay available 24/7. Horses need to chew to produce saliva, a natural antacid. Since their stomachs secrete acid all the time, they need to graze all of the time. Horses are trickle feeders, meaning they need forage throughout the day, available consistently.

Horses may also eat mature because they require microbial support in their hind gut. Most horses do not have a problem maintaining a normal hind gut flora. But, if a horse is stressed, ill, or on antibiotics, the microbial level drops. And, getting back to the problem I mentioned earlier... if a horse goes without anything to eat for a few hours, the acid travels down the digestive tract, killing the bacteria. This can lead to colic.

Manure also provides fiber, which horses need a great deal of, so if the diet does not have enough hay (the foundation of any horse's diet), they will typically eat manure.

Manure-eating can also occur due to boredom.

So, these are a few reasons we see this unpleasant activity in horses, known as "coprophagia."

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO