Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Am I over suplementing

Hello,
I was wondering if I would be overdoing it if I was feeding the Triple Crown Lite (1 -lbs 2x) with the Reitsport HA Lite at recommended dosage. I also add about 2oz of rice bran with each meal 2x daily. This is a smaller easy keeper 9 y/o mare in medium/lite dressage work. I may try her at low level eventing this summer. She has been given the TC lite for years and I have been happy with the product. I have been trying the Equine saver along with Jointsaver but have read here and elsewhere that that seems like too much of an overwhelming product esp with the Triple Crown Lite and would like to switch to the Reitsport HA lite for all the joint/hoof and flax support that it offers and replace the two products with one.
The mare receives the easy mare showtime herbs as well as a grass hay for forage also in summer there is grass turnout.
Thank you so much what a wonderful site!

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? websearch for reitsport

Re: Am I over suplementing

Hello PV,

Thank you for writing about your mare. If she is maintaining a healthy weight and has no fat deposits on the crest of her neck, along her spine, tail head, or chest, then your diet sounds sufficient for her needs.

Yes, you can add Reitsport HA-100 Lite to her diet with the 2 lbs of TC Lite, but instead of the normal 4 ounce portion of Reitsport HA-100 Lite (2 scoops), reduce it to 1 1/2 scoops (to provide 3 ounces by weight).

I'm glad you stopped giving Equine Saver. And, this product, along with the Joint Saver, was definitely providing overlaps in joint support.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for the information! I will try that amount it seems very reasonable. She maintains her weight on that amt and is not showing fat deposits. If she is off work for an extended period of time (happened last year- my fault not hers) she does get a bit of a belly but nothing you wouldn't expect from lack of work.

Hi PV,

Excellent -- glad I could help.

The fat deposits to look for, that can lead to laminitis, are along the neck (cresty neck), spine (where there's a crease going down the back), tail head, chest, and even over the eyes. Horse's typically do not put on weight on the underside of their belly -- that's gas from forage fermentation!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

I Just wanted to follow up and say thank you and let you know I did adjust to the amounts you suggested with the Triple Crown lite, TC ricebran and reitsport HA lite and the horse just glows and looks fantastic and seems to feel great! I did check my weights and realized I was not giving the full 2 lbs of the TC lite so adjusted that as well. Thanks so much!
PV

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? surfing

Hello PV,

That is excellent news! Thank you so much for the wonderful update.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

PV
I Just wanted to follow up and say thank you and let you know I did adjust to the amounts you suggested with the Triple Crown lite, TC ricebran and reitsport HA lite and the horse just glows and looks fantastic and seems to feel great! I did check my weights and realized I was not giving the full 2 lbs of the TC lite so adjusted that as well. Thanks so much!
PV