Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Changing to beet pulp?

Hi Dr. Getty- thanks for your informative forum!
I have 6 yo warmblood mare that I do dressage with. I ride about 4x a week and she lives in a large run with a shed. She is about 1100 pounds and is very sensitive, energetic and spooky- she is currently on grass hay and strategy (about 1.5 large coffee cans 2x daily) and has a trace mineral block.
I am thinking of switching her to beet pulp because she can be hard to put weight on and to see if it calms her down a little. Does this seem like a good idea, and what supplement or other grain should I be feeding if I do this? How much would you suggest giving her? Thanks!

Where are you from? CO

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: Changing to beet pulp?

Hello "S",

Excellent idea! Strategy is a sweet feed, and also is made from cereal grains, so it is very, very, very high in sugar! Beet pulp is a much safer way to feed, reducing the risk of laminitis, and also does not create blood sugar levels that rise and fall so dramatically.

I would suggest adding Glanzen Complete to the beet pulp to fill in the gaps while on hay. If she gets fresh pasture during the warm months, then you can switch to Glanzen at that time. Glanzen Complete will give her hoof support and B vitamins (which protect a variety of systems including the nervous system). It also is made from a flaxseed meal base, which provide essential omega 3 fatty acids, to help with her joints, immune system, hooves, haircoat, skin, and internal organs.

Try this first. She may also have a borderline magnesium deficiency, so having your hay analyzed is a good idea. So, see how her behavior is with the new beet pulp/Glanzen Complete regimen and if after 3 to 4 weeks, you do not notice a difference, then add Quiessence -- 2 to 3 scoops per day. But, I recommend you not give Quiessence yet -- let's first see how the B vitamins affect her from the Glanzen Complete. If you do end up giving her Quiessence, you will continue with the Glanzen Complete since this also provides comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplementation.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks very much for your reply!
I do board my mare, and was thinking of doing shredded beat pulp, which I read you can feed dry. However, I also read that there is a risk of choke if you don't wet it down, and I'm not sure that the peole feeding will add water. Is there a commercial feed that is mostly beat pulp and lower starch/sugar than the strategy that you might recommend which doesn't require any preperation?

Hi S,

Yes, beet pulp really should be soaked. Yes, the shredded variety can be fed dry but there is an element of risk, and I would rather be on the safe side. It doesn't need a long time to soak -- only 15 to 30 minutes. And, if you have hot water, it can be fed almost immediately -- 1 to 2 minutes later.

But, yes, there is an excellent feed that Purina has finally come up with -- it's called Wellsolve L/S and it contains beet pulp along with flax and alfalfa. If you feed it according to directions, it won't require as much supplementation. And, three pounds for example, has nearly 7,000 mg of magnesium which is important to take into condideration when supplementing Quiessence.

Hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks again, I will see if I can find the wellsolve and give it a try! I notice that you did say I should need less supplement, would the recommended supplement still be Glanzen complete (she is on a dry lot)? And trace mineral block or straight salt?

Hi S,

Good question! Depending on how much Wellsolve L/S you feed, you can still add some Glanzen, instead of Glanzen Complete. If you feed it according to directions, however, you can likely do without Glanzen and simply add Nutra Flax -- plain flaxseed meal, to offer some more fat. If you feed less than the suggested amount, add Glanzen and you may need to give her extra vitamin E so she has at least 1200 IU of vitamin E per day.

Yes, you would still keep the salt block -- white one, not the mineralized one.

All the best,

Dr. Getty