Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Probiotics

Hello Dr Getty,
Is there research to back up the use and effectiveness of probiotics in horses? Or are they used based on the success in other species like humans? Is there supporting data to back up their use in horses?
Thanks again for a great site!

Where are you from? Illinois

How did you locate this forum? search for horsetech

Re: Probiotics

Hi PV,

Probiotics simply replace the existing bacterial flora that are naturally found in the hind gut. Their numbers are vital to your horse's health, so adding a probtiotic is useful for any horse that is at all at risk of reduced numbers. Circumstances such as laminitis, stress (physical or mental), colic, ulcers, and antiobiotic therapy, can kill these microbes, so a probiotic is important. And, probiotics have been shown to help prevent sand colic in horses that graze in sandy areas.

Underweight horses also benefit since they depend microbial digestion for forage in order to derive calories for hay and pasture. Generally, for underweight horses without underlying medical problems, I prefer a prebiotic instead since it feeds the existing microbes, rather than adding more.

However, for the healthy horse, they are generally not necessary. Adding them does no harm, but they do not make things better for the horse.

There are many resources available describing probiotics and their usefullness. Take a look at www.equisearch.com or if you subscribe to The Horse, you can access their information on line, as well. Another site for research is www.ivis.org which I believe you can register for free of charge.

Thanks for writing about this important topic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks again for great info. I will look up the sources you mentioned. I have always felt the pre/probiotics are important but someone in discussion recently stated there was no research to show that they were effective or helpful. I will share this info.

Hi PV,

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO