Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
product question

Hi Dr. Getty, Thank you for this forum. I have visited numerous times in the past and have always found the answer to my questions.
I just received an advertisment via mail re: Wendland's One 'N Only. Reportedly it is a complete feed, developed by Texas A&M and requires no additional forage. However, no significant or specific nutritional information is provided. It does say it is ideal for the older horse with chewing issues and on another site I got the impression it was for horses on the lower scale of working activity. I did see an ingrediant list on their web site and I would like to get your thoughts on this. Around here poor quality bermuda starts at $18.00/bale and up! The prices go up higher for other grasses and/or alfalfa... and good quality sometimes can not be found at any price.I like to have a good understanding about the various feed options out there. Any information would be helpful.
Thank you!

Where are you from? Southern Nevada

How did you locate this forum? surfing years ago

Re: product question

Hi Alice,

I took a look at this product -- http://www.wendlands.com/One__N_Only.html -- and it appears to say, "Free Choice" on the label, which would indicate that it is a fortified forage feed that could replace both hay and an added vitamin/mineral supplement. A 1000 lb horse would need approximately 20 lbs per day, so this may or may not be more economical than a 60 lb bale of hay (lasting 3 days) plus a vitamin/mineral supplement. However, from the surface, it appears to be nutritious option.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO