Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
2 weeks to foaling,nut much udder

Our maiden mare is due to foal in 2 weeks and has not developed much udder. We went through this last year with a maiden mare who did not drop milk till after foaling (oxytocin shots) and it was not fun at all. Why are these mares not developing udders? We have not had problems in previous years with maiden mares. Our mare is on mare foal supplements, being fed alfalfa mixed hay and 14% protein feed. What determines udder size, developement and when to drop milk? What can we do to help? Thank you. Diane

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? not sure

Re: 2 weeks to foaling,nut much udder

Hi Diane,

I am not a foaling expert by any means, but if it's any consolation, when I discovered the new mare I had bought was in foal, I immediately began to research everything I could find in books and online and by asking around.

My mare also was a maiden, and did not develop an udder. I waited and watched for it, and for the 'waxing' I heard about. Nothing. As I didn't know her breeding dates, I could only guess. As she got bigger and bigger I waited for the 'signs'. Nothing. Finally one night my husband woke me to say the baby had arrived. I went out and she had a small, but beautiful little colt. Still no bag, but the foal was sucking and I could see and hear him swallowing something. Within 2 hours she developed a full bag and the colt was none the worse. She recently had a second foal that was actually planned this time, and she did develop an udder about 3 weeks before delivery and showed wax one day in the afternoon; she had the baby that evening around 11:30 pm or so.

All mares are different, especially maidens! They can be quite secretive. Always consult with your vet, but I would not worry or give her unnecessary injections unless she foals and there is no milk at all and no bag or milk within 2 hours of giving birth.

That's just my story, but I hope it helped some.

Tamara

Where are you from? Ontario

How did you locate this forum? Favourites

Thanks Tamara - that is good to hear...We will be taking another mare to be vet checked for twins this Friday and I will ask my vet what he thinks...everyone says mother nature takes care of things, but we wait so long for these babies, you want nothing to go wrong..Diane

Where are you from? Indiana

How did you locate this forum? not sure

Hi Diane,

Tamara is correct -- all mares are different, and with maiden mares, it's difficult to tell how they will respond to their first pregnancy. I highly recommend The Complete Foaling Manual to help you with what to expect. It is written in easy-to-understand language and has lots of pictures to help clarify things.

Since this isn't truly a nutrition issue, I don't have anything else to add, unless you need assistance in feeding your mare. So, keep informed, and have your vet on call!

Happy Foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO