Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
supplements?

The boarding stable I'm at has decided to feed Nutrena SafeChoice. They get a good quality grass hay daily along with turnout. I have a 3 yr. old Percheron and I was wondering if I should be supplementing with additional Vit.E and Selenium on top of the SafeChoice? I know SafeChoice has both of these listed as ingredients, but is this enough for my draft? We are considered a low-selenium-level area here in Ohio. This is what Nutrena has listed on their site for what's in SafeChoice:
Guaranteed Analysis (min. amounts except where noted)
Crude Protein 14.0%
Lysine 0.80%
Methionine 0.30%
Threonine min. 0.50%
Crude Fat 7.0%
Crude Fiber max. 15.0%
Calcium min. 0.90%-max. 1.20%
Phosphorus 0.75%
Copper 50 ppm
Zinc 160ppm
Selenium 0.6 ppm
Vitamin A 3,500IU/lb
Vitamin D 350 IU/lb
Vitamin E 100 IU/lb
Biotin .45mg/lb

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I just want to make sure that he's getting the levels of Vit.E and Selenium that he needs.

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? trolling around for info. on the internet

Re: supplements?

Hi Carrie,

The selenium level is fine -- 4 lbs of this feed has 1.09 mg of selenium. However, the same amount would only contain 400 IU of Vitamin E. So, supplement additional vitamin E to bring to level close to 2000 IU. I recommend E5000 or SuPer E8000 or SuPer E Natural. None of these contains selenium, just vitamin E.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO