Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Horse won't eat anything - moves it around...

Hi Christy,

I have a few suggestions to help your picky eater.

First, instead of Glanzen Complete, try Glanzen Lite Complete. It is a bit more palatable for the picky eater. Since it is a custom product, the smallest size is 20 lbs. So, you could try the 12 lb size of Glanzen Lite instead, to first see if she likes it.

But, before you go that route, you could experiment with some flavorings. Banana is a horse favorite, which most people don't know. You can get some banana extract at your grocery store and add one or two drops into her feed. Or, mash a banana and add it. Other extracts are also worth trying, such as peppermint, licorice (anise), or molasses. There is a nice flavored oil product called Aperti, that you could also consider.

Another item is apple cider vinegar. Most horses love it -- most, but not all. You can get this, as well, in your grocery store and add 1/4 cup to her feed.

So, it will take some experimenting but you're likely to come up with a solution. Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO