Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Changing to beet pulp?

Hi S,

Yes, beet pulp really should be soaked. Yes, the shredded variety can be fed dry but there is an element of risk, and I would rather be on the safe side. It doesn't need a long time to soak -- only 15 to 30 minutes. And, if you have hot water, it can be fed almost immediately -- 1 to 2 minutes later.

But, yes, there is an excellent feed that Purina has finally come up with -- it's called Wellsolve L/S and it contains beet pulp along with flax and alfalfa. If you feed it according to directions, it won't require as much supplementation. And, three pounds for example, has nearly 7,000 mg of magnesium which is important to take into condideration when supplementing Quiessence.

Hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks again, I will see if I can find the wellsolve and give it a try! I notice that you did say I should need less supplement, would the recommended supplement still be Glanzen complete (she is on a dry lot)? And trace mineral block or straight salt?

Hi S,

Good question! Depending on how much Wellsolve L/S you feed, you can still add some Glanzen, instead of Glanzen Complete. If you feed it according to directions, however, you can likely do without Glanzen and simply add Nutra Flax -- plain flaxseed meal, to offer some more fat. If you feed less than the suggested amount, add Glanzen and you may need to give her extra vitamin E so she has at least 1200 IU of vitamin E per day.

Yes, you would still keep the salt block -- white one, not the mineralized one.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO