Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
diet change

Hi Dr. Getty,
I just moved my two horses from Ohio to Southern Pines, NC... I have a 20 year old Morgan gelding that more than likely has insulin resistance and has foundered (about 4 years ago). He didn't founder very badly (minimal to no rotation and no separation of the hoof wall)... It also seemed to be a bad combination of things that caused this to happen; turnout for several hours in the afternoon, high starch grain, very fresh hay and not enough exercise. In more recent years he ate Lite Balance from Nutrena , Quiessence, and a grass hay... He had about 3 hours of turn out in the morning hours everyday. With exercise he maintained himself very well, but became a little too thin, lost muscle tone and his coat seemed dry and dull.

Now I am in NC where they turn out all day (the schedule at the new barn is turnout from 8 am to 3 pm). I was wondering what your suggestion would be for managing this horses' diet down here since I am unfamiliar with the type of grasses and the many hours of turnout... I'm just afraid that it would be too much for him to handle. I was also wondering if I could just switch him to beet pulp with no sugar, a vitamin supplement and Quiessence?

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: diet change

Hi Andrea,

A beet pulp diet along with added alfalfa pellets is a beneficial way to feed. To this, you would add a vitamin/mineral supplement that is high in omega 3 fatty acids from flax. I recommend Glanzen Complete to fill in the gaps.

From what you describe, it sounds like he has "recovered" from his insulin resistance in the sense that he no longer has fat deposits (cresty neck, fat along the crease of his back, etc.) and he has lost weight. Plus he hasn't had a bout with laminitis in four years. So, you can allow for some pasture grazing, with caution. This time of year, the nights are still very cold and combined with sunny days, you have a recipe for a high sugar grass. So, wait a bit on the weather and then let him graze in the early morning hours when the sugar levels are at their lowest.

Quiessence is helpful, as a magnesium supplement and you should continue to offer some, at a maintenance dosage -- only one scoop per 500 lbs. And a low starch diet is also important because he has had a history of insulin resistance.

If you need more assistance fine-tuning his diet to meet his particular circumstances let me know.

In the meantime, I also recommend, in addition to Glanzen Complete, a prebiotic called Ration Plus to help him gain weight.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for your advice... I didn't realize that they can somewhat "recover" from insulin resistance, that is really interesting. I learned something new. Thank you so much for your knowledge.

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Andrea,

Let me clarify... an insulin resistant horse will always be prone toward this endocrine disorder. However, if the cresty neck and other fat deposits are gone, the horse is exercised, and is of normal weight, the horse can be fed normally because he has overcome the risk factors. It's very similar to a person with Type II diabetes that does not require insulin. This person is typically overweight and sedentary. But, if this person loses weight and exercises, the Type II diabetes goes away. Nevertheless, he is prone toward developing it again if he goes back to his old body weight and sedentary lifestyle.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO