Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chronic Scratches and a case of lymphangitis

I have a 5 yr old QH mare, that has battles scratches on and off for several years. This year has been the worst. It started with a case of Lyphangitis and although we got that cleared up with some Dex and Doxycycline, the scratches have lingered for months now. I actually took her to CSU for a biopsy and nothing specific showed up, they did suggest that mites might be an underlying trigger and suggested I treat her with some frontline, as they've found evidence of that being the cause in some draft horses realizing she's isn't a Draft. (I just got this news today and have yet to act on it). As far as the scratches goes, we've tried everything under the sun, from MTG to diaper rash creme, to topical SMZ's and Dex, to sour***** (I kid you not, lol) to Emu oil to..., well you get the picture. CSU is baffled by this, If I've been able to keep them from getting worse by wrapping them with mtg but I still can't get them to disappear for more than a day. At one point she had blood and serum leaking through them and we had to sedate her to even touch them. She's now on straight alalfa, outside on dry mats without shavings, as the shavings seems to irritate it, even wrapped. I had her on Oats and Buckeye loose minerals, but CSU suggested we take her off everyting for a month and put her on a probiotic to see if it helped and it hasn't. Any ideas, suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and generosity in responding.

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? link

Re: Chronic Scratches and a case of lymphangitis

Hi Jan,

Sounds like you and your horse have been through a great deal! Scratches is generally fungal, and I didn't see any antifungal preparations in your list. I have heard of a successful treatment by a veterinarian that involves DMSO (available from your vet or any health store), fenbendazole wormer (which is an anti-fungal and available through your feed store as Panacur paste), and nitrofurazone (an antiobiotic salve that you can get in a feed store). Mix them together in equal parts.

Apply the cream mixture after you've cleaned and patted dry the skin. Apply daily and do your best to keep her clean.

Her immune system is also important and I highly recommend Daily Start as a potent probiotic along with oligosaccharides that further boost immunity. this along with PreOx, an antioxidant preparation, and she'll have the tools to heal.

Keep me posted on how this works!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for your response. We had tried some fungal remedies, including the one you mentioned with no success. However, low and behold we have it cleared up. One more consult with CSU and I happend to get a resident who mentioned that they've had some luck treating what appeared to be scratches with mite meds, just your average over the counter dog flea/tick/mite drops. Their theory is while they don't show up in a cultrue, the mites come from the shavings and come and go, causing enough irration to do damage. Well two treatments and she looks great, they are 99% gone. I did a skin scraping and while nothing showed, they've all but disappeared. I appreciate your response and just wanted to share what happened to work for my mare, in hopes in might help someone else.

Jen

Where are you from? Colorado

How did you locate this forum? link

Hi Jan,

Well, how 'bout that?! What an interesting treatment! Thanks for letting me and my readers know so other horses can benefit.

Congratulations!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO