Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New horse/ New feed?

Hello,
I recently bought a yearling filly that I intend to work moderatly in round pen till she's 3 then do preformance. When I got her she was eatting a mix of beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, bran, & 12% pellets. I have a 6yr old mare I work moderatly and currently feed Seminole perform safe low starch pellet. I have never mixed feeds before or even know what beet pulp and alfalfa pellets do. I was wondering if I should continue the seminole feed with both and also what the pros and cons are of mixing in beet pulp and alfalfa pellets. If I do mix what ratio should it be in.
Thanks
Kathy

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? googled equine diets

Re: New horse/ New feed?

Hi Kathy,

I recommend feeding a low starch feed to growing horses because too much starch and sugar can increase the risk of developing osteopathic disorders. So take a look at the pellets you're feeding to your filly.

Alfalfa pellets and beet pulp (soaked) is an excellent choice, along with a good vitamin/mineral supplement that fills in nutritional gaps. Hay should be provided 24/7 and enough beet pulp fed to provide additional calories for work. Alfalfa boosts the overall protein quality by complementing grass hay.

So, feed beet pulp similarly to any concentrate. If you're feeding 2 lbs of pellets, substitute 2 lbs of beet pulp/alfalfa pellets in a 50:50 weight ratio.

Get the shredded beet pulp (sweetened with molasses is ok), and add warm water. That way it will soften in 5 minutes or less. Cold water takes longer. And, then add your alfalfa pellets -- they'll dissolve and mix in with the beet pulp.

You can do this for both horses. For your filly, however, add a supplement designed for growth such as Mare/Foal IIP along with some flaxseed meal for omega 3 fatty acids -- Nutra Flax. For your mare, you can feed a Glanzen to fill in gaps as well as provide omega 3 fatty acids.

And finally, it's best to have your hay tested, especially for lysine and selenium levels. Lysine is an essential amino acid that growing horses need a lot of, and selenium is typically low in Florida. So, you may need Glanzen-SE for your mare.

I hope this is helpful. It should get you on the right track. For me to evaluate your specific situation further, I offer personal phone consultations. So, let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi,
I am about to get a 36" not quite 2yr. old mini. She's been on alphalfa hay and timothy hay with nutrene safe choice. Should I add beet pulp to her diet or replace 1 cup of beet pulp for 1 cup of safe choice. Thanks,Debra

Where are you from? CA

How did you locate this forum? http://Nutrena

Hi Debra,

Congratulations on your new horse! Minis are genetically predisposed toward insulin resistance, so you are wise to consider a low starch feed. However, Safe Choice is not as safe as one would imagine since it can contain corn and other cereal grains. Instead, you can feed beet pulp, and add a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps, such as Glanzen or Glanzen Complete.

Forage should be the basis of her diet, with all the hay she wants. You really don't need anything else, unless she is exercised enough where she needs the extra calories. So, depending on her work load (which is not likely to be high since she's only two years old), give her a small amount of beet pulp to serve as a carrier for her supplement.

Don't forget the salt block -- a plain white one will do fine and if she doesn't lick it, add salt to her diet -- 1 teaspoon per meal should be fine.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Debra Meadows
Hi,
I am about to get a 36" not quite 2yr. old mini. She's been on alphalfa hay and timothy hay with nutrene safe choice. Should I add beet pulp to her diet or replace 1 cup of beet pulp for 1 cup of safe choice. Thanks,Debra

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO