Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pasture grass - should I muzzle

Hi Diane,

Congratulations on doing such a fine job in getting her weight down. You are wise to keep her on a low starch diet, along with Quiessence.

I would much rather change her diet than use a grazing muzzle. Since she is of normal weight, no fat deposits, and has no history of laminitis, she can likely graze safely for limited amounts of time. Grazing muzzles can be stressful for many horses and stress leads to insulin resistance, and hence laminitis.

Omegatin is high in fat and also contains cereal grains, so you would do better feeding just flaxseed meal for omega 3 fatty acids -- Nutra Flax is worth considering.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for the advise on the Omegatin. It was the advice from BO to put her on for Vitamins as a top dress and help keep weight on during cold season. I will remove it from her feed and look at the supplement you advised. I didn't want to muzzle her - she seems the type to really fret about that. With the pasture would it be better to keep mowed lawn height (shorter = less sugar?) or let grow longer. The info out there is very confusing on this topic. The barn she is at now doesn't mow, but there are many more horses on the pasture so it gets eatten down.

Where are you from? Virginia

Hi Diane,

Mowing can cause stress to the grass, so letting horses graze on freshly mowed grass increases their sugar content. So wait a couple of days. But, the most significant contributors toward sugar levels are time of day and night time temperatures. Grass exposed to sunlight has the most sugar late in the afternoon and the least amount in the early morning. If the thermometer dips below 40 degrees at night, followed by a sunny day, the grass will hold on to sugar.

Yes, I know it's confusing. So, if you're going to allow some grazing, do so early in the morning, before 10 am, for example, and wait until the weather warms up enough so it isn't too cold at night.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO