Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Vitamins for Senior Horses

Hi, I have 2 senior horses, one possibly Neurologic (Negative on EPM, possibly viral) who are in need of vitamins, esp. vit E. Between Vita-Key and Preox which vitamin would be best for my seniors? Vita-key is more cost effective at first glance, but Preox seems more palatable (one is a picky eater). Thanks, Jenny p.s. Would love to have a consultation once my vet bills slow down.

Where are you from? Western Washington

How did you locate this forum? searching for Vita-key vits.

Re: Vitamins for Senior Horses

Hi Jenny,

Vita Key Antioxidant is a fine supplement. However, I like PreOx better for a few reasons, which are important for immune system function. First, PreOx offers more vitamin E -- 2500 IU per serving compared to 2,000 IU in Vita Key and I like to give a double serving in EPM cases, providing 5,000 IUs of vitamin E. PreOx also contains grapeseed extract, a potent antioxidant. And, finally, PreOx is flaxseed meal based, so it provides omega 3 fatty acids which Vita Key does not have. Omega 3 fatty acids are involved in immune function, as well.

Thank you for writing. I hope this helps with your decision.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO