Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen Complete with or without Selenium?

Hi, I am going to order Glanzen Complete for my 2 5yr. olds that are currently thriving on Glanzen 3. How does one know whether there is a need for the one with or without Selenium. We are on the Central Coast of California. I never hear any talk of need for Selenium from vet or fellow owners. Thanks

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? http://

Re: Glanzen Complete with or without Selenium?

Hi 10 Walker,

That is an excellent question. The only way to truly know the selenium content in your pasture and/or hay is to have it tested. You can easily do this through Equi-Analytical Labs -- www.equi-analytical.com or your local county extension service may offer selenium analyses but check with them before submitting a sample.

California is typically low in selenium, however, so it is best to get Glanzen Complete that normally contains 1 mg of selenium.

If, however, you are feeding any other supplements or feeds that contain selenium, evaluate the content. For example, most commercial feeds have about .6 ppm of selenium. If you were to feed 4 lbs per day, for example, that would provide 1.09 mg of selenium ( [4 X 454 X .6]/1000). And, then you wouldn't need more selenium from Glanzen Complete. The goal, however, is to remain below 3 mg of selenium per day.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

10 walker
Hi, I am going to order Glanzen Complete for my 2 5yr. olds that are currently thriving on Glanzen 3. How does one know whether there is a need for the one with or without Selenium. We are on the Central Coast of California. I never hear any talk of need for Selenium from vet or fellow owners. Thanks

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO