Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: feeding pregnant mare

Hi Sherry,

Congratulations on your anticipated foal! Yes, PreOx is excellent and the high antioxidant content in perfect for relieving allergies because it boosts immune function.

I assume that you are feeding the alfalfa pellets as a carrier for her supplements and that she is also receiving another source of forage. She should have all the grass hay she wants along with alfalfa (as hay, pellets, or cubes). Give her 30 to 40 percent of her hay ration as alfalfa.

If you are looking for a foaling manual to help you through the process, I highly recommend The Complete Foaling Manual.

Happy Foaling,

Dr. Getty

Sherry
I have a mare that I just bred. she is currently on Alfalfa pellets, 2 scoops preox, and 2 scoops Nutraflax. Is Preox good for pregnant mares? She has a ton of Allergies and this diet works good for her. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

the alfalfa pellets are only a carrier for her supplements. She gets 24/7 grass hay and pasture. Vet said she looks beautiful and perfect weight. People always ask how I keep them so shiny. I tell them all NutraFlax does the trick

Hi Sherry,

Sounds like she's doing very well, indeed. As I mentioned, the only area I'd take a closer look at would be the amount of alfalfa she's getting. If you can get hay, that would be good, but if not, consider adding more pellets or breaking up alfalfa cubes and offer them to her. Moistening them is helpful since they are very dry.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sherry
the alfalfa pellets are only a carrier for her supplements. She gets 24/7 grass hay and pasture. Vet said she looks beautiful and perfect weight. People always ask how I keep them so shiny. I tell them all NutraFlax does the trick

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO