Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ultimate performance horse diet, or over supplementing?

Also, I'm not familiar with the numbers, but someone recommended Platinum Performance to me. It seems like it has a lot of the same nutrients that I am trying to accomplish by buying multiple feeds, but it also seems REALLY expensive for how long it should last... just 1 scoop per horse would only last a little over a month between my four horses (I have one yearling as well), and that's $125. Ouch! But, the Horse Guard Tri-fecta runs about the same rate or more at the local feedstore, so I guess there isn't much of a difference... we had been on Horse Guard Mega Dose, which is a little cheaper, and we could switch back to it, but again it contains the same levels of selenium. I think it would be cheaper for me to buy all of the individual products and spend the time mixing, unless you know of a product.

Where are you from? Southern Oregon

How did you locate this forum? Recommended by another user

Okay, I've done a bit more research today, so here is a bit more of the knowledge I've gained. It has narrowed down my questions a bit I think... although I would still like to find a vitamin supplement other than horseguard that is more economically priced and will still cover all the nutritional bases.

The nu-image is advertised as being okay to be fed alongside other supplements, as well as the MSM, as you can't overdose on MSM, so I'm not worried about those throwing off the supplement levels. The Apple Cider Vinegar is nutrition-less I believe, and cannot be overdosed either, so I don't have many concerns with that. The only thing I know is the nu-image is high in Omega 6's, so I would like to find an additional source of Omega 3s to counteract that, such as through flax seed.

Beet pulp I believe is fairly nutrition-less as well, with it's most significant thing being that it is a high fiber feed that is higher in calcium; gives a slow release of energy and and practically sugar free. Can be used as a grass hay replacement. Recommended to be fed with other vitamin sources, and as a good offset to feed programs that feed rice bran (which is high in phosphorous).

So basically, it's down to whether adding flax seed, rice bran, and corn oil to the food is okay (or even needed). I would like to add flax seed because of it's high omega 3s, but I know it does contain other other vitamins and nutrition. Corn Oil I read can help prevent ulcers because it contains prostaglandins. I read an article that says, "corn oil and rice bran oil that have a high omega 6 fatty acid content have been shown to increase prostaglandin E secretion and decrease acid production in the stomach. This makes these oil sources the preferred option for horses with gastric ulcers.". So this leaves me a bit confused, Omega 6s decrease change of ulcers, but at the same time are inflammatory, so you have to counteract them with omega 3s. That's all good, but what kind of levels of Omegas are acceptable? Can I just up the flax seed to make up for the high Omega 6's in the diet? And rice bran would be the last question of whether to add or not. I'm not sure if it has any nutritional properties to add that the horse's aren't receiving with the other things, except maybe the theory that it has steroidal properties. Who doesn't like a muscley horse? :)

Where are you from? Southern Oregon

How did you locate this forum? Recommended by another user

Hello Tamra,

Thank you for writing about your horses. I must say, the amount of information you provided is somewhat beyond the scope of this forum for me to give you a helpful response. I basically help folks with specific questions that can be easily answered in this format. So, I could better assist you by setting up a phone consultation, so I could take the time to thoroughly review your materials, go over each horse's situation, and customize a feeding plan for them that fits their needs and improves their overall health.

So, please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO