Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Fescue and endophyte

Dear Dr. Getty,
We're looking to put a new lawn in out tree shaded yard and it seems the best grass for that is tall fescue. My 2 minis (1 stallion, 1 gelding) graze in the yard maybe an hour a week. Do we need to be sure we have endophyte free fescue grass seed? I understand it can be harmful to pregnant mares.
Thank you!!!
Pam

Where are you from? AZ

How did you locate this forum? been here many times before

Re: Fescue and endophyte

Hi Pam,

Since you have male horses, there is no need to be concerned about fescue. Fescue can be contaminated with a fungus that can cause problems for pregnant mares, including lessened milk production and a retained placenta. Even endophyte-free fescue can become contaminated by pastures nearby.

So as long as you don't plan on having pregnant mares on your pasture, you're ok.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Pam
Dear Dr. Getty,
We're looking to put a new lawn in out tree shaded yard and it seems the best grass for that is tall fescue. My 2 minis (1 stallion, 1 gelding) graze in the yard maybe an hour a week. Do we need to be sure we have endophyte free fescue grass seed? I understand it can be harmful to pregnant mares.
Thank you!!!
Pam

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO