Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
COPD

Hi, I was looking for Flax seed oil and found your site. My question is, given a choice of your flax seed product verses the Su-Per DMG 3000 liquid. My 21 year old arab has had COPD for a little over a year now, the coughing and breathing were REAl bad for awhile. He is on Dexamethzone 4 to 5 days (originally), have been able to extend that to 7 to 8 days (after starting him on "Ani Med Flax seed oil", I'm thinking), also was on albuterol twice a day, haven't had to give that for awhile. Also had been having to water down his hay, have changed hay from a flaky kind to an orchard grass hay and haven't had to water that down either. Don't know if it is one or the other (flax seed oil/orchard hay)but he seems better. Sorry so long in detail but saw your products and noticed that the Su-Per DMG 3000 liquid sounded pretty good too. It is a little more expensive but was wondering if this might be better for his condition. I don't have a lot of extra money but want to do the best for him. The flax seed oil seemed to be doing okay but is it possible to know a little more about the two products? Thank you for your time and patience. (just a note: can't afford a phone consultation) Thanks again. Donna

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? yahoo search

Re: COPD

Hello Donna,

The flaxseed oil is stabilizing his immune function, so you are wise to continue using it. You may find feeding Nutra Flax more economical than the oil. Plus it has a longer shelf life, since the oil becomes rancid very easily.

Wetting down your hay, like you're doing, is one of the best things you can do to reduce dust. Also consider removing him from the barn, if he's stalled, while sweeping the aisles or lowering hay from a hay loft.

I have seen excellent results with DMG3000 for this disorder, technically known as Recurrent Airway Obstruction (RAO). DMG increases oxygen delivery to tissues and is an excellent addition to your treatment.

RAO(formerly called COPD) can be genetically transmitted, but can also be due to a viral or bacterial infection. So, boosting immune function is key toward his ability to combat the problem. You might also consider adding a probiotic that contains oligosaccharides to protect immune function in the intestinal tract. More than half of his immune system resides in the digestive system. So, if your budget will allow, consider Daily Start in addition to the SuPer DMG3000.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Donna Kaurich
Hi, I was looking for Flax seed oil and found your site. My question is, given a choice of your flax seed product verses the Su-Per DMG 3000 liquid. My 21 year old arab has had COPD for a little over a year now, the coughing and breathing were REAl bad for awhile. He is on Dexamethzone 4 to 5 days (originally), have been able to extend that to 7 to 8 days (after starting him on "Ani Med Flax seed oil", I'm thinking), also was on albuterol twice a day, haven't had to give that for awhile. Also had been having to water down his hay, have changed hay from a flaky kind to an orchard grass hay and haven't had to water that down either. Don't know if it is one or the other (flax seed oil/orchard hay)but he seems better. Sorry so long in detail but saw your products and noticed that the Su-Per DMG 3000 liquid sounded pretty good too. It is a little more expensive but was wondering if this might be better for his condition. I don't have a lot of extra money but want to do the best for him. The flax seed oil seemed to be doing okay but is it possible to know a little more about the two products? Thank you for your time and patience. (just a note: can't afford a phone consultation) Thanks again. Donna

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO