Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
what to feed minis

I have two miniature horses ages 1 and 3. I was just wondering what would be a good feed for them. Could I give them alfalfa pellets with a multi vitamin and a little flaxseed?? They are fed triple crown lite right now and free choice grass hay. Thanks!!

Where are you from? PA

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: what to feed minis

Hi Margie,

As long as they are maintaining a normal weight by feeding the TC Lite, you can continue feeding it. However, be careful to avoid obesity with minis since they are prone toward developing insulin resistance.
Don't ever cut back on hay, only the commercial feed. The only time I would feed TC Lite would be if your horses are being exercised enough to where they are not able to hold their weight on just hay plus supplements.

Nutra Flax is excellent for all horses, including minis. You can add it to alfalfa pellets.

If you find that they really do not need the TC Lite, you can give them a flaxseed meal based multiple vitamin/mineral preparation instead of Nutra Flax, such a Glanzen Complete.

If they do need the TC Lite for extra calories, you may or may not need a vitamin supplement. It depends on whether or not you're feeding it according to directions. Since it is a fortified feed, you only need to add a vitamin/mineral supplement if you are feeding less than the recommended amount for your horses' weight.

One last consideration. Since they are still growing, especially your younger one, you should evaluate the amount of lysine in the diet. They need 6 grams of lysine per 200 lbs of mature weight. So check how much they're getting from the TC Lite. If you know the amount of lysine in your hay, you can figure that in as well. Or just to be safe, you can add some lysine to the diet in supplement form.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Margie
I have two miniature horses ages 1 and 3. I was just wondering what would be a good feed for them. Could I give them alfalfa pellets with a multi vitamin and a little flaxseed?? They are fed triple crown lite right now and free choice grass hay. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much for helping me find the best diet for my minis.

Where are you from? pa

Hi Margie,

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Margie Briar
Thank you so much for helping me find the best diet for my minis.

Dr Getty,
I checked out the site and put my order in, but I got the ponies Glanzen lite, because they do get pasture time.
If they are not on pasture they still have access to hay at all times.
Im hoping this will be good with alfalfa pellets and the glanzen lite, I also got the ponies the lysine.
I also got the nutra flax for my eight year old mare which Im changing her too alfalfa pellets, and I got accel lifetime for her also. Im taking her off the triple crown lite also.
thanks again for all your help.
Margie.

Where are you from? pa

Hi Margie,

The Glanzen Lite is fine as long as they are receiving approximately 8 hours of pasture each day. Hay has lost so many nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta carotene (converted to vitamin A) so Glanzen Lite Complete offers these nutrients for hay-based diets.

Keep me posted on how they're doing!

Dr. Getty

Margie Briar
Dr Getty,
I checked out the site and put my order in, but I got the ponies Glanzen lite, because they do get pasture time.
If they are not on pasture they still have access to hay at all times.
Im hoping this will be good with alfalfa pellets and the glanzen lite, I also got the ponies the lysine.
I also got the nutra flax for my eight year old mare which Im changing her too alfalfa pellets, and I got accel lifetime for her also. Im taking her off the triple crown lite also.
thanks again for all your help.
Margie.