Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
fedd help

I have a paint gelding 6yrs. On the chubby side and I was thinking about changing him to Dumore Stable Energy 14% no molass no whole grains pelleted feed. From 12% Dumor sweet feed. He has a little bit of a crested neck. I am a little concerned about sugar with him. What do you think. The 14% protein is a concern with the new feed. He is a light to moderate work level trail riding mostly. Would appreciate anything you have to say.

Where are you from? Zelienople

How did you locate this forum? websurfing

Re: fedd help

Hello Annie,

Don't be concerned about the protein level -- 14% is fine. Protein does not cause laminitis, nor does it lead to insulin resistance.

You're wise to change to a low starch/low sugar feed. Check with the manufacturer about the %NSC level. You want it to be no more than 13%. If it is higher than that, go with a different feed such as Purina Wellsolve L/S or Triple Crown Lite.

I would definitely add magnesium and chromium to his diet because of his cresty neck. This indicates insulin resistance and these two minerals help lower circulating insulin and thereby prevent laminitis. Quiessence is worth considering -- give him 1 scoop per 250 lbs of body weight.

Thank you for writing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Annie
I have a paint gelding 6yrs. On the chubby side and I was thinking about changing him to Dumore Stable Energy 14% no molass no whole grains pelleted feed. From 12% Dumor sweet feed. He has a little bit of a crested neck. I am a little concerned about sugar with him. What do you think. The 14% protein is a concern with the new feed. He is a light to moderate work level trail riding mostly. Would appreciate anything you have to say.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO