Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vit C and Ultium

Hello Krista,

I have never heard of vitamin C increasing the pH of the urine, if anything, it would make it more acidic. If your horse is younger than 16, there is no need to add vitamin C. Once you start feeding vitamn C, your animal (horse or dog) will become accustomed to the higher level so it is important to continue feeding it indefinitely. If you do decide to stop, you must wean your animal off of it over a few week's time.

If your horse is over 16, I recommend giving him vitamin C. Start with 3,000 mg per day. But, this is designed to protect his joints, not your lawn. Vitamin C in high dosages over the long term can lead to acid-base impbalances and kidney stones, so please do not give this to your horse if doesn't need it.

Regarding protein... Protein does not make horses hot. Carbohydrates may have this effect, though it's not universal across horses. So, I do not think the Ultium has anything to do with the change in your horse's behavior. Sweet feed could affect his behavior based on his health, the sugar and starch may not be appropriate for him.

I recommend you give him magnesium for his behavior. Most horses do not get enough magnesium, which can manifest itself in nervousness, inattention, and spooky behavior. I recommend Quiessence -- 1 scoop per 500 lbs of body weight.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Krista
I have two questions:

1. My dogs (90 pounds each) currently get one 500mg Vitamin C tablet a day. This does something to keep their urine from buring the grass. Can the same thing be accomplished with horses? If yes, how much Vitamin C should be given? I have burned spots on the pasture from the mares urinating.

2. Does Ultium (high fat, low starch) make some horses "naughtier". The mare I recently purchased has developed some naughty issues that she didn't have previously. The previous owner wonders if the Ultium I feed (8 cups per day) could be part of the cause. She said she had heard it can make some horses hot because it is higher in protein, and that I should start feeding a regular 12% sweet feed, which is what my mare was previously fed.

Thank you!
Ruby's mom

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO