Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new horse, new feed

Hi Michelle,

It's really quite common for horses to pick through their hay to get to the yummy alfalfa. So, it's best to not feed these two together. Offer alfalfa separately, at a different time of day, so he can enjoy it. Then, he'll get to the grass hay later.

But it's worth having your grass hay analyzed. It may have very low feed value, making it unpalatable. You can contact your local county extension service or send a sample to Equi-Analytical Labs: www.equi-analytical.com

Watch your meal size carefully. His stomach is small compared to the rest of his digestive tract, so meals should be limited to 3 to 4 lbs (weigh your feed, do not rely on a scoop). Strategy is a sweet feed, high in starch, so I don't recommend feeding more than 2 lbs per meal. Otherwise, it can enter the hind gut where it will be fermented by the microbial population and could result in colic or laminitis.

It's fine to feed hay following a normal size meal. Try getting some other grass hay -- a bale or two -- from your feed store and mix a little with your grass hay. See if he prefers the newer hay. This will tell you that there is something wrong with your hay.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Michelle
Hi, Dr. Getty.

We just got a 14 year old QH gelding who is a real treat to have in our family, but we are a bit worried about his eating habits. He was fed alfalfa hay and rolled oats at his previous home, and we feed grass hay and Strategy pelleted feed here. We also have the routine of putting out the hay and letting the horse eat while the pasture and corral get mucked, then feed the Strategy. (I had read that giving grain or feed first, then hay would just push the feed out before it could be fully digested. Not sure if that's even accurate...)

Well, the concern is that this guy does not care for our "cheap hay" (it's actually very nice grass hay), and just wants to be fed his grain without touching any hay first. We do give him a flake of alfalfa in with the grass hay for one of his feedings but he sifts through, eats that, and leaves the rest. In the evening he realizes the leftover grass hay is all there is and eats it, but it doesn't seem to be a healthy way for him to eat.

There is a bit of grass in the pasture but not enough to really eat, just nibble. He has all the hay he needs to keep from being hungry, he just is choosing not to eat it through the day. Should I stop worrying so much and figure that in another week he'll adjust and be eating normally?

Thank you!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO