Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 3yr old w/ Ulcers

Just a followup as Im catching up on all these postings and came across my own!! My boy is now a 4yr old, broke to ride and is doing wonderful. He is out 24/7 whenever it is feasible. In cold/wet/hot weather he comes in 1/2 day. When he is in he gets as much hay as possible, some days cleans it up others leaves some. I also give him some alfalfa cubes if hes staying in as a 'bribe' to be a good quiet boy for awhile in his stall. He gets 2qt scoop of TC Low Starch 1x a day w/ 1tsp of Probios and a vit/min supplement. I just HAVE to get on my soapbox and say despite ALL the money I spent on this horse and the torture of medicine,etc the easiest solution was the fix. I talk to people all the time about ulcers who say well my horse cant be turned out but maybe just an hour or so, I say well then pay fortunes for meds. Being out is cheap and it worked! And I think he's much happier and healthier for it! Just a moment on my soapbox!

Where are you from? VA

How did you locate this forum? searching for info on ulcers

Re: 3yr old w/ Ulcers

Hello Kelly! What wonderful news -- I am so pleased to hear how well your horse is doing. And, you're right, the simplest fix is to allow your horse to be a horse and feed him the way his body was intended to be fed.

Thanks for your patience in my getting back to you. I'm writing an equine nutrition book which will finally be done in time for the winter holidays. I have a whole chapter devoted to digestive problems, so you can be sure I'll be talking about ulcers and how to prevent and treat them.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Kelly
Just a followup as Im catching up on all these postings and came across my own!! My boy is now a 4yr old, broke to ride and is doing wonderful. He is out 24/7 whenever it is feasible. In cold/wet/hot weather he comes in 1/2 day. When he is in he gets as much hay as possible, some days cleans it up others leaves some. I also give him some alfalfa cubes if hes staying in as a 'bribe' to be a good quiet boy for awhile in his stall. He gets 2qt scoop of TC Low Starch 1x a day w/ 1tsp of Probios and a vit/min supplement. I just HAVE to get on my soapbox and say despite ALL the money I spent on this horse and the torture of medicine,etc the easiest solution was the fix. I talk to people all the time about ulcers who say well my horse cant be turned out but maybe just an hour or so, I say well then pay fortunes for meds. Being out is cheap and it worked! And I think he's much happier and healthier for it! Just a moment on my soapbox!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO