Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feed for anxious horse who needs to keep up his weight

I have a 10 year old paint who currently is being fed Strategy grain, and he gets little hay. (I board him so I"m not the one feeding him.) My horse is jumpy and anxous, and I really believe it has something to do with his feed. I need to give him something that doesn't get him "hot" and also can keep his weight up. Right now he's also on Weight Builder with his grain. Can Weight Builder cause edginess? I would like a calm horse again. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Marquette, MI

How did you locate this forum? friend

Re: feed for anxious horse who needs to keep up his weight

Hi Jana,

Weight Builder won't make him jumpy, but that's not the problem. The problem is he is hungry and in pain. Horse's need to have forage from hay and/or pasture going through their intestines all the time. They need to chew to produce saliva, a natural antacid, to neutralize the constant flow of acid in his stomach and the rest of his intestinal tract. He will develop an ulcer if this is not the case. And the stress is very painful, which is why he is not behaving well.

See what you can do to get him more hay, and you will see a difference in him -- I guarantee it. The more hay the better, free-choice is preferable.

If he already has an ulcer (which I'm sorry to say, is likely) feeding starchy feed will make it worse. So bottom line, hay, a low starch feed, all the water he wants, salt, and you're set.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Jana
I have a 10 year old paint who currently is being fed Strategy grain, and he gets little hay. (I board him so I"m not the one feeding him.) My horse is jumpy and anxous, and I really believe it has something to do with his feed. I need to give him something that doesn't get him "hot" and also can keep his weight up. Right now he's also on Weight Builder with his grain. Can Weight Builder cause edginess? I would like a calm horse again. Thanks!!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO