Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding a growing horse

Hello,
Several months ago I purchased a 4-year WB gelding, built on the fine side. He has been working consistently for about 4 months but he has yet to gain much weight or develop topline muscles. He is also not muscling much over the shoulder. A couple of weeks ago I moved him to a new barn where the owner seems keen on putting weight on him. To this end, she has taken him off grass hay and has substituted alfalfa. He is also getting some senior pellets, Platinum supplement, and rice bran. I have noticed that since he was put on alfalfa his resting temp is higher, he is generally hotter and more nervous in temperament, and he does not look as though he is moving as freely. I am uncomfortable with these things, and want to know if I am grounded in worrying about deleterious effects related to feeding alfalfa without grass hay. He is also allowed a couple of hours of grass pasture per day. Please tell me your thoughts.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Where are you from? New Mexico

How did you locate this forum? Google search

Re: feeding a growing horse

Hello Bonnie,

Thank you for writing about your gelding. You have reason to be concerned because alfalfa, while a wonderful hay, is not meant to be fed as the main hay source. It is too high in protein, which can create more body heat. And, it's calcium level is also too high to be fed in such large amounts. He can develop stones in his kidneys and intestinal tract.

Ask your horse's caretaker to give him a mixture of alfalfa and grass hay. A 2:1 ratio where there is twice as much grass hay as alfalfa is fine and will give him the high quality protein he needs to grow, while protecting his kidneys against stones and his intestines against enteroliths.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Bonnie
Hello,
Several months ago I purchased a 4-year WB gelding, built on the fine side. He has been working consistently for about 4 months but he has yet to gain much weight or develop topline muscles. He is also not muscling much over the shoulder. A couple of weeks ago I moved him to a new barn where the owner seems keen on putting weight on him. To this end, she has taken him off grass hay and has substituted alfalfa. He is also getting some senior pellets, Platinum supplement, and rice bran. I have noticed that since he was put on alfalfa his resting temp is higher, he is generally hotter and more nervous in temperament, and he does not look as though he is moving as freely. I am uncomfortable with these things, and want to know if I am grounded in worrying about deleterious effects related to feeding alfalfa without grass hay. He is also allowed a couple of hours of grass pasture per day. Please tell me your thoughts.
Many thanks in advance for your help.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO