Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse windbreaking

I have a ? i have a 10 year old thorougbred and i have had taken her to the vet and was told that she had wind break. When she lunges or runs in the arena she starts coughing really bad. i was going to start her on penicilin incase she has a cold becuase the underside of her jawbone is swollen. She sometimes wheezes when she is standing in her stall after being worked. Could there possibly be something else wrong.

Where are you from? las vegas, nv

How did you locate this forum? on the web

Re: horse windbreaking

Hello Virginia,

Thank you for your patience. By now you've probably started an antibiotic, so that may solve the problem. However, from a nutrition perspective, you'll want to make sure that her respiratory system is supported.

I have a few recommendations. First, give her a flaxseed meal based antioxidant preparation called PreOx. The flax contains omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation and the antioxidants boost her immune function.

If you're already giving her a multiple vitamin/mineral supplement, replace it with PreOx and give her 2 scoops per day.

Next, give her spirulina, which will also significantly improve her immune function. She'll need 10 wafers per day to provide 20 mg of spirulina.

Finally, I have had very good success with DMG in managing respiratory conditions.

I hope this is helpful. Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

virginia oneal
I have a ? i have a 10 year old thorougbred and i have had taken her to the vet and was told that she had wind break. When she lunges or runs in the arena she starts coughing really bad. i was going to start her on penicilin incase she has a cold becuase the underside of her jawbone is swollen. She sometimes wheezes when she is standing in her stall after being worked. Could there possibly be something else wrong.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO