Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Weanling( APHA) Filly

Hello Margie,

Thank you for your patience -- I'm finishing my equine nutrition book and hope to have it in print by this coming December. There's a chapter in the book for foals that you'll find interesting.

But, in the meantime, are you saying that she is only 3 months old and has been weaned? Don't do it -- most horses that are weaned early have all kinds of behavioral problems as adults. Wait until she's weaned at 6 months.

Regarding feeding, she should have all the grass hay she wants and half as much alfalfa. This will meet her protein needs. Choose a commercial feed, as well, designed for growing horses, such as ADM Alliance Junior Glo (first choice) or Triple Crown Growth.

I'm not sure what is in the feed you mentioned but if it is grain based (oats, corn, barley, etc.) stay away from it. High starch can cause osteopathic disorders in growing horses.

I hope this is helpful. If you would like to visit about her, I may be able to offer you more specifics once I have an opportunity to ask you some more questions. Good luck and congratulations!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Margie Briar
Dr. Getty,
Hi, Im considering buying a weanling filly apha breeding stock, she will not be ready to come home untill September. But there telling me she should be fed this in there words- 165 protein feed and good hay or grass, or something like calf manna or grow colt, they can leave at 3 months. They really should be on a high protein grain until they're 1 1/2 or 2 years old anyway. What suggestions would you give me that would be a good diet for her as a weanling? Thanks for your input.
Margie.

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO