Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chronic loose manure

I have a 17 year old Bashkir Curly mare. For many years (at least 10) she's had off and on problems with very loose manure that borders on diarrhea. We've tried many different types of probiotics, and rounds of antibiotics, per her vet's advice, but these don't seem to help long term.

She seems to do best when she is in a 24/7 turn-out arrangement, which she has been for about 3 years now. The general consensus is that the constant movement helps things moving in her gut, which helps the overall digestive process. However, she still has bouts of very loose manure, like now, possibly because of being out on the green grass?

What would you suggest for a long term dietary solution for my mare? I don't feel like constantly keeping her on probiotics is the solution. I would rather manage this problem with diet so that I can pull out the probiotics when the loose manure occasionally flares, otherwise, I really have nothing else to work with.

Thanks!

Where are you from? Boston

How did you locate this forum? friend's recommendation

Re: Chronic loose manure

Hi Lindsay,

Your mare has what I like to call "Shoulder-shrug" diarrhea syndrome. That's because you really don't know what's causing it except that she has a sensitive digestive system. I assume you've ruled out worm infestations or any infection.

I have had good results with one of the two products:

First, Succeed digestive conditioning system at a double dose for at least two months, has helped many clients.

Second, when Succeed has not worked, I have had favorably results with high dosages of Vitamin B1 (thiamin) -- 1,000 mg per day for the full-sized horse. This level is safe and seems to calm down the digestive tract enough to allow for more water absorption.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Lindsay
I have a 17 year old Bashkir Curly mare. For many years (at least 10) she's had off and on problems with very loose manure that borders on diarrhea. We've tried many different types of probiotics, and rounds of antibiotics, per her vet's advice, but these don't seem to help long term.

She seems to do best when she is in a 24/7 turn-out arrangement, which she has been for about 3 years now. The general consensus is that the constant movement helps things moving in her gut, which helps the overall digestive process. However, she still has bouts of very loose manure, like now, possibly because of being out on the green grass?

What would you suggest for a long term dietary solution for my mare? I don't feel like constantly keeping her on probiotics is the solution. I would rather manage this problem with diet so that I can pull out the probiotics when the loose manure occasionally flares, otherwise, I really have nothing else to work with.

Thanks!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO