Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alfalpha cubes vs pellets

Alfalfa cubes provide your horse with longer stemmed forage, where as the pellets don't, which is why pellets can't "replace" hay. The pellets can provide forage based calories with little to no sugar though which is the nice thing about them. The pellets can't entirely replace hay, but if you combine them with the cubes or with something like beet pulp it can help greatly if hay is scarce or tough to feed in higher amounts.

Re: Alfalpha cubes vs pellets

Hello Sue and Meg,

Yes, alfalfa pellets do not have as much indigestible fiber and slightly more protein. So, they are about twice the concentration as cubes when it comes to bulk. However, because they are more digestible (their NDF value and lignin level is lower), they are a nutritious way to add the benefit of alfalfa to a hay-based diet.

Alfalfa is a legume, and as such, it boosts protein quality. But feeding pellets vs cubes is really your call. The cubes need to be broken into small pieces, and both of them require additional water to prevent choke.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Sue Linder
Hi Dr. Getty,

My question is "What is the difference between the alpha cubes and pellets? I feed them to my 9 yo EPSM draft/tb cross. He gets grass, hay, speedi-beet 2 cups of canola oil a day and the cubes. He likes either, but I figured the fiber would be good for him. Is there a protein difference between the two?

He also gets lots of treats of carb guard.

Many thanks.

Sue

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO