Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Growing Stallion

Hi Dr. Getty

I just found your forum and have enjoyed it so much!
My question is regarding a 3 year old Arabian stallion needing to gain weight. I foaled and raised this colt and he is tall for an Arab (standing 15.1+), he has always been gangly and tends to lose weight when a growth spurt hits, but will smooth back out after. He has been on a diet of Triple Crown Senior since March (9 lbs/day in two feedings) and I have also given him 2lbs rice bran pellets for the added fat (in two feedings). He has his own paddock with some grazing and is given coastal bermuda hay as he will eat it, alfalfa/orchard on occasion as well (as available, and usually fed as "treat"). His coat is slick and shiny, but he still appears thinnish and overly lanky. I would like to see this colt grow to his potential (his dam is 15.3, so I think he could match that at least), but would like to see him more plump while growing.
I don't seem to be seeing the improvement I was hoping for when I switched to TCSenior and am at the point of really needing to find some mixture of what will help to put the weight on and allow him to continue to grow. Thanks so much for any help!

Where are you from? South Carolina

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: Growing Stallion

Hi Christina,

Thank you for writing about your stallion. If you are able to have your hay analyzed for its lysine content, that would be helpful, just to make certain that he is getting enough. He needs to have at least 40 grams per day to help him grow properly.

I assume he is getting all the grass hay he wants. That's important. And alfalfa should be provided daily, if only to keep his hindgut microbial population in good shape. Consistency in feeding is important to prevent colic. If you're not able to get hay, give him alfalfa pellets -- moisten them a bit and add them to his meals.

Let me caution you about his meal size -- it should never exceed 4 lbs per meal, and less for him because of his size. A horse's stomach is very small compared to the rest of his digestive tract and too large a meal can cause colic and even laminitis if the undigested feed in fermented by the bacteria in the hindgut. So, to safely feed the amount you're currently offering him, you'll want to provide at least 3 meals per day.

In addition to alfalfa, he needs more fat. Flaxseed meal is excellent -- give him 2 1/2 scoops per day of Nutra Flax. The omega 3s are very important for overall health, as well as providing more calories.

Finally, add Ration Plus to his meals to boost the health of the microbial population so he can derive more calories from his hay, and hence, gain weight.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Christina
Hi Dr. Getty

I just found your forum and have enjoyed it so much!
My question is regarding a 3 year old Arabian stallion needing to gain weight. I foaled and raised this colt and he is tall for an Arab (standing 15.1+), he has always been gangly and tends to lose weight when a growth spurt hits, but will smooth back out after. He has been on a diet of Triple Crown Senior since March (9 lbs/day in two feedings) and I have also given him 2lbs rice bran pellets for the added fat (in two feedings). He has his own paddock with some grazing and is given coastal bermuda hay as he will eat it, alfalfa/orchard on occasion as well (as available, and usually fed as "treat"). His coat is slick and shiny, but he still appears thinnish and overly lanky. I would like to see this colt grow to his potential (his dam is 15.3, so I think he could match that at least), but would like to see him more plump while growing.
I don't seem to be seeing the improvement I was hoping for when I switched to TCSenior and am at the point of really needing to find some mixture of what will help to put the weight on and allow him to continue to grow. Thanks so much for any help!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO