Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Changing over to Purina Ultium

Hi Mary,

The amount of Ultium you feed really depends on how well he is maintaining his weight. If he requires the intense activity level amount, be sure to limit each meal to no more than 4 lbs (weigh your feed to be sure). Any larger than that, and there is a high risk of colic. So, you may need to feed more than twice a day.

Another important factor to consider is having frequent stops so he can eat hay or pasture. He should not go for more than 2 hours without anything in his stomach. His stomach releases acid constantly and endurance horses easily develop ulcers while on the trail for a long period of time.

Regarding salt -- electrolytes are only good to replace sweat -- they do not cover his sodium or chloride requirements. Therefore, in order for an electrolyte supplement to work, he needs to be in good sodium balance before hand. Check the level of sodium in Ultium -- he should have 35,000 mg (35 g) of sodium at the bare minimum. If he won't lick the salt block, add one tablespoon of table salt to each meal.

Also, chloride cannot not be met by salt or electrolytes, only hay. So be sure he has a full stomach before setting out on the trail.

Thanks for writing!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Mary
I am starting to transition my Arab gelding from a Patriot 12% pellets to Putina Ultium. I use him for competitve trail, and we typically log quite a few miles each week (50+). My question is... should i strat him at the "moderate" activity level or "intense" activity level? He has access to coastal hay, and I daily supplement with biotin for his hooves, and electrolytes in the summer (its HOT here in Texas). He doesn't typically lick a salt block on his own, even when not supplemtning with elytes. ANything else I need to add? Thanks. Mary

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO