Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 18 yr old barrel horse

Hello Carissa,

Congratulations on your new horse. I have a few recommendations for you.

First, at his age, he is no longer producing enough vitamin C to protect his bones, joints, and immune function. I suggest giving him 3,000 to 10,000 mg per day, depending on whether or not he has access to fresh pasture.

Next, you'll want to give him flaxseed meal. This provides omega 3 fatty acids which also protect his joints, as well as his skin, haircoat, hooves, and immune function. If you are feeding the senior feed according to directions, you won't need to add an additional vitamin/mineral supplement. So go with Nutra Flax for flaxseed meal. If you are not feeding it according to directions, then give him either Glanzen (for horses on pasture) or Glanzen Complete (for hay-only diets).

The other thing I want to mention, and this is the most important of all, is to give him all the hay he wants. He needs to be permitted to self-regulate his intake so he can keep his digestive system healthy. Horses are designed to be trickle feeders, meaning they eat a little all day long. If they go for hours without anything to eat, they develop ulcers because their stomachs release acid continually. They also develop bad habits because they are in such pain and discomfort, they they will start chewing on anything just to produce saliva (a natural antacid). They will also be less attentive and may have other behavioral issues. The motility of the digestive tract depends on there being forage flowing through it at all times. Without this, horses are at a high risk of colicking.

So, I hope this is helpful. If you find that you'd like to go into more specifics, please consider a phone visit. That way I can spend time learning all about him and customizing a feeding plan for him to give him many more years of vibrant living.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Carissa
We just aquired an 18 yr old appendix gelding who is used for speed events. I am feeding him Seminole Wellness Senior. He also gets 4 flakes of T & A a day. I want to make sure I am feeding him the most well balanced diet I possibly can so he can continue his career as long as possible. I am pretty sure that this feed is a good choice but please feel free to look at it and let me know what you think. I would like to know what supplements I can add to his diet to address any of his needs, ie: joints, weight maintanence(he can use a few extra lbs) and performance. Thank you for your help

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO